White as Lilies was Her Face - text
White as lilies was her face,
When she smiled she beguiled,
Quitting faith with foul disgrace,
Virtue, service thus neglected,
Heart with sorrow hath infected.
When I swore my heart my own,
She disdained, I complained;
Yet she left me overthrown,
Careless of my bitter grieving,
Ruthless bent to no relieving.
Vowes and oaths and faith assured,
Contant ever, changing never,
Yet she could not be procured,
To believe my pains exceeding,
From her scant neglect proceeding.
Oh that Love should have the art,
By surmises, and disguises,
To destroy a faithful heart,
Or that wanton looking women,
Should reward their friends as foemen.
All in vaine is Ladies love,
Quickly choosed, shortly loosed,
For their pride is to remove,
Out alas their looks first won us,
And their pride hath straight undone us.
To thy selfe the sweetest faier,
Thou hath wounded, and confounded,
Changles faith with soule dispaier,
And my service hath envied,
And my succours hath denied.
By thine error thou hast lost,
Hart unfained, truth unstained,
And the swaine that loved most,
More assured in love than many,
More dispised in love than any,
For my heart, though set at naught,
Since you will it, spoil and kill it!
I will never change my thoughts,
But grieve that Beauty e'er was born,
And so I'll live as one forlorn.
Hudba: John Dowland (1563 -- 1626)
Dowland - Second Booke Of Songs 1600 (The Consort of Musicke & Emma Kirkby)
- I Saw My Lady Weepe
- Flow My Tears
- Sorrow, Stay
- Die not before thy day
- Mourn, mourn, day is with..
- Time's eldest son, Old Ag..
- Then sit thee down and sa..
- When Others Sing Venite
- Praise blindness eyes, fo..
- O sweet woods, the deligh..
- If floods of tears could ..
- Fine Knacks for Ladies
- Now cease my wandering ey..
- Come ye heavy states of n..
- White as Lilies was Her F..
- When others sing 'Venite ..
- Woeful heart with grief o..
- A Shepherd in a shade his..
- Faction that ever dwells ..
- Shall I sue, shall I seek..
- Toss not my soul
- Clear or cloudy sweet as ..
- Humour say what makst tho..
- 1. Come again sweet love dot..
- 2. White as Lilies was Her F..
- 3. Now, O Now, I Needs Must ..
- 4. Awake sweet love thou art..
- 5. Stay time a while thy fly..
- 6. Flow My Tears
- 7. Come Away, Come Sweet Lov..
- 8. O sweet woods, the deligh..
- 9. His golden locks time hat..
- 10. Flow Not So Fast, Ye Foun..